Thursday, September 15, 2011

The last week of the adventure

The bittersweet week has arrived. The excitement of going back home mixed with the sadness of leaving what has been your home for the past six weeks. As this week has progressed toward our last game of the season, I've been more porous when it comes to learning new things at training. I've been privileged to be working Peter deVilliers every week doing scrumming technique, skills on explosiveness and downright "man tests" where your will is the only thing that is left after the exercise. Tonight is the last training session and I'm excited to see what will transpire. Yesterday I did something I've always wanted to learn how to do: went surfing. The boss at Cubana is a hug surf fan and every so often likes to treat his employees to a day out in the sun and surf. As we neared the beach, I asked how high the chance of a shark attack would be. My boss replied "There hasn't been an attack in over 60 years in this area. Now you can look at it two ways: that it's overdue, or that it's a pretty safe spot." Always the optimist, I decided to go with the latter perspective. With my wetsuit on and my 10 ft longboard in hand, I hit the waves....more like the waves hit me. I took a couple straight to the face and came out of the water spitting salt. After a brief instruction lesson from the boss, I soon figured out what worked and what didn't. Not only was the activity physically draining by wrestling with mother nature, but it was also mentally exhausting. Fall, get up, fall, get up, crouch, ride for a second then fall. I eventually worked up to where I could stand a couple of times before the day ended. All in all, it was an awesome experience and I look forward to going again. The rest of the final week looks to be filled with work, games, and leaving celebrations.

Cheers,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment